Photo by Chad Runge / Creation Swap

http://www.creationswap.com/media/3165

Monday, April 26, 2010

Frustrated With Self

After making some comments about being frustrated with people, I felt that it's only fair to take a hard look at myself. I probably have this thing all backwards though. In the Bible, Jesus tells us to look at the log (or plank) in our own eye before looking at the speck in someone else's.




Although I think Jesus's teaching had to do with a brother in the faith, I believe there's application here because it speaks to the heart issue, the motive. You see, particularly since I have put my faith in Jesus Christ, I think I better be examining sin in my own life before looking at what's wrong with someone else's.



Then on the other hand, there seems to be so much sin in the world. And to ignore it because I need God to change me first would be a mistake. I will never be perfect until I'm in heaven in the presence of my Savior. Romans 8:29-30 So, I need to find a balance. First, I should examine myself. Secondly, I look at what's going on in the world, compare it to Scripture, and speak out against those things that I believe are contrary to the Bible and God's ways.



So for now, I'll take a look at self. Over some time now, I've been more acutely aware of some sin issues in my life. Praise God, the Lord has helped me with some previous ones. Obvious ones. But just because you have victory (actually all credit is due to Jesus Christ) over one area doesn't mean you've crossed the finish line.



2 Timothy 4:6-8



Paul crossed the finish line, but it didn't happen right away. In this passage, Paul fought the good fight, he ministered, he equipped, he labored for the gospel. It's only when God told him it was time, that he could say that he finished the race.



How is this relevant to the subject at hand? Quite simply, Paul was a man who though he was perhaps the greatest apostle ever, Jesus excluded of course, he talks at length about his struggle with sin issues. Maybe I'm taking this out of context, and you can correct me if you like, but in Romans 7, Paul talked about how he struggled with his sin nature. Romans 7:7-25 So, if Paul who walked closer to God than I ever have, had issues, you better believe we all have them then too.



I just know that as I begin to look at how I behave, how I treat people, and how badly I respond to adverse circumstances, I can see that God has a lot of work to do in me yet. My hope is that I can cooperate with Him instead of fighting Him tooth and nail. I want to be different, set apart, holy. That means I need to let God do what only He can do. Sanctify me. But oh, sometimes that can be a painful process. Who wants to face their sin? Take it head-on? Not me. But God does that. He opens our spiritual eyes and let's us see the ugliness of our sin.



So, that's what I mean when I say I frustrate myself. I hate the things that I do, and what it means about the condition of my heart. Why can't I just get it right? But I take comfort in knowing that it doesn't take my righteousness to please God. Praise God! Jesus has taken care of that for me. It's through Jesus that I am made right with God. Thank you Jesus! Romans 4:18-25

No comments:

Post a Comment